Why does Excel have two options to protect an Excel workbook?
Protecting an Excel File
If you want to control who can open and view your Excel file, file-level protection is the appropriate choice. You have two options with this type of protection – locking it down with a password and making the file Read-Only for certain specified groups.
What are the different workbook protection types in Excel?
You have three choices when it comes to protecting an entire Excel workbook: encrypt the workbook with a password, make the workbook read-only, or protect just the structure of a workbook.
Can you have multiple passwords in Excel?
To apply different passwords to two ranges in a worksheet, follow these steps: Start Excel, and then open a blank workbook. On the Tools menu, point to Protection, and then click Allow Users to Edit Ranges. In Microsoft Office Excel 2007, click Allow Users to Edit Ranges in the Changes group on the Review tab.
Which option is a layer of protection for Excel document?
To protect a sheet, select a tab in your Excel workbook, click on the Review tab and choose the Protect Sheet menu option. This option allows for very specific protections of your spreadsheet.
Is Excel password protection secure?
Excel isn’t secure enough for storing passwords
Since Microsoft Excel 2013, encryption has become more robust with much-improved salting and hashing. However, encryption is just one aspect of what constitutes good security. First, Excel files are easily transportable.
How do I unlock a protected Excel workbook?
Unprotect an Excel worksheet
- Go to the worksheet you want to unprotect.
- Go to File > Info > Protect > Unprotect Sheet, or from the Review tab > Changes > Unprotect Sheet.
- If the sheet is protected with a password, then enter the password in the Unprotect Sheet dialog box, and click OK.
How do you password protect Excel but allow read only?
More videos on YouTube
- Open a workbook.
- On the File tab, click Save As.
- Click Browse.
- Click on the Tools button and click General Options.
- In the Password to modify box, enter a password and click OK. …
- Reenter the password and click on OK. …
- Enter a file name and click Save.
What is the difference between Protect Sheet and Protect workbook in Excel?
Protect Sheet is about preventing users from modifying (Changing, moving, or deleting) data in a worksheet. This is done by locking the cells on the worksheet and then and adding a password to the sheet. Protecting the workbook prevent other users from modifying the structure of the workbook.
What are the different types of workbook?
Excel offers three different workbooks views, Normal, Page Layout and Page Break Preview.
How do you password protect multiple columns in Excel?
Now select only the cells or columns, rows that you want to protect. Right click and choose Format cells again. Go to the protection tab and check Locked option and click Ok. Go to Review tab, click Protect Sheet and protect the sheet using a password.
How do you password protect different cells in Excel?
Lock cells to protect them
- Select the cells you want to lock.
- On the Home tab, in the Alignment group, click the small arrow to open the Format Cells popup window.
- On the Protection tab, select the Locked check box, and then click OK to close the popup.
How do I change the confidentiality in Excel?
How to change security level in Microsoft Office applications
- Open Microsoft Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, or Word.
- Click Tools.
- Click Macros.
- Click Security.
- Select the security level for that application.
How do I protect a sheet in Excel with a password?
- In your sheet of interest, go to Format -> Sheet -> Hide and hide your sheet.
- Go to Tools -> Protection -> Protect Workbook, make sure Structure is selected, and enter your password of choice.